IB Primary Years Program at McGraw
McGraw is proud to be an authorized International Baccalaureate (IB) World School which has offered the Primary Years Program since the 1999-2000 school year. We were one of the first authorized PYP schools in North America and are part of a larger network of over 1,900 PYP schools in 109 countries. All students at McGraw participate in the Primary Years program, as documented in our school IB Access Policy.
The Primary Years Program (PYP) is an international education framework focused on the development of the whole child as an inquirer and life-long learner, both in the classroom and in the world beyond.
* fosters international-mindedness through the IB learner profile
* promotes the development of student agency (voice, choice and ownership) for learning
* prepares students to become life-long learners who take action to make a positive difference in their local and global communities
* utilizes an inquiry-based approach to learning and teaching
* reflects real life through meaningful, concept-based, in-depth inquiries which promote deeper understanding of local and global topics and issues
* provides opportunities for the development of a broad range of skills which students will apply throughout their education and life
* engages students in showcasing the culmination of their PYP education through the PYP Exhibition
Visit this link for a summary of the benefits of an IB education at McGraw.
Our school mission statement, fostering internationally-minded, life-long learners who all thrive in and positively shape our global community, reflects the aspects above and aligns with the mission statement of the global IB organization:
The International Baccalaureate aims to develop inquiring, knowledgeable and caring young people who help to create a better and more peaceful world through intercultural understanding and respect.
Visit this link to learn more about the IB mission.
Our school mission also aspires to the Poudre School District vision:
Poudre School District exists to support and inspire every child to think, to learn, to care, and to graduate prepared to be successful in a changing world.
Visit this link to learn more about Poudre School District and its vision and mission.
We have also developed a strategy, which is summarized in the following points, to put our school mission statement into practice on a daily basis:
- McGraw Elementary educates learners through the International Baccalaureate (IB) Primary Years Program (PYP) curriculum in a safe, caring environment. Strategic planning, structures and systems at McGraw integrate state/district priorities and expectations with IB practices.
- Our Program of Inquiry and PYP units of inquiry are centered on the changing needs of the life-long learner, encompassing the full range of academic disciplines. The Colorado Academic Standards, which are based on the Common Core standards, align with the conceptual, inquiry-based approach which drives the PYP curriculum.
- Learners are guided to set high expectations for themselves in order to develop agency (voice, choice and ownership) and their individual talents and abilities and to become critical thinkers, reflective life-long learners, and caring, responsible members of their local and global communities.
- International-mindedness is infused throughout the curriculum as learners inquire into local and global issues, take action to create a better world, celebrate their similarities and differences, and appreciate that they are part of a diverse, interconnected society.
Visit the following pages on our website to learn more about the Primary Years Program and how it is being implemented at McGraw:
- Student Agency
- IB Learner Profile
- Concepts in the PYP
- Approaches to Learning
- Student Action
- McGraw Program of Inquiry
- Assessment in the Primary Years Program
- PYP Exhibition
- Student-led Conferences
- IB Evaluation and Action Plan
- PYP Visit Dates for Educators
The PYP Playlist offers further information about various aspects of the Primary Years Program.
If parents/guardians or students have any specific questions or concerns about the IB Primary Years Program at McGraw, they should follow the process outlined in this document. We believe that clear and frequent communication between staff, parents/legal guardians and students is critical to the ongoing success of student's education through the IB program at our school.
You may also contact your child's classroom teacher or our school IB Coordinator, Paul Schkade, at email@example.com, for more information about the PYP at McGraw.