The IB Primary Years Program (PYP) recently went through a major global review. As a result, IB introduced enhancements to the program which are intended to make it even more accessible and responsive to the diverse needs of today’s learners. The main focus of the “Enhanced PYP” is to develop student agency. Student agency can be defined as giving students increased voice, choice and ownership for their learning. It also supports students’ ability to take meaningful and intentional action (locally and globally) and to contribute to and participate in our learning community.
At McGraw we are providing students with multiple avenues to take greater agency for their learning, including:
* Students setting their own goals related to the IB Learner Profile attributes and the PYP Approaches to Learning skills
* Involving students in the development of questions and lines of inquiry that help guide class exploration of PYP units
* Student-led conferences in the spring and student participation in parent-teacher conferences in the fall
* Student self- and peer-assessment of learning
* The McGraw Student Leadership Team
* Student involvement in the development of individual learning plans
* Providing daily opportunities for students to ask questions, reflect, and take action based on what they are learning and are passionate about
The following IB document provides more details about how PYP schools are being encouraged promote student agency: Examining Learning Agency in Your Setting
Look for further examples of student agency in communications from your child’s teachers and when you have the opportunity to be in our school. As always, let us know if you have any questions!